How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Hi My wife works for a charity as a carer. She pays no tax

This answer was rated:

My wife works for a charity as a carer.
She pays no tax and little if no national insuranc.
I on the other hand I pay full UK tax and NI on approx £36000 per year.
Can I get some of my wifes tax relief transfered to me ?
Hope this makes sense.

Thanks XXXXX


Unless either of you or your wife were born before 6 April 1935, you won't qualify for the married couples' allowance which can be switched between spouses.

As for the personal allowance, as of now any part of the allowance which is not used by your wife cannot be transferred to you I'm afraid. However, from 6 April 2015, it will be possible for up to £1,050 of one spouse's personal allowance to be transferred to the other. You can read about that here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you