How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4782
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I wish to downsize from a rather large house to a Beechcroft

This answer was rated:

I wish to downsize from a rather large house to a Beechcroft appartment. If the purchase and sale overlap, ie: I have bought new property before the sale of our existing home, say by a month or two, how are we situated?
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

I assume you refer to your sole or main domestic residence. Such an overlap is no problem, everybody knows that property transactions take time. The Capital Gains Tax system allows the last 18 month's of ownership to be deemed to be entitled to Private Residence Relief and in any event the year of sale does not count. As an Australian might say, 'No worries,' on the tax front.

I do hope I have been able to set your mind at rest.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks. I had rather expected the gist of your reply but nice to have it confirmed by someone who really knows the score.


Hopefully I have not signed on for membership, or anything similar. This shoule be a single transaction.

Thank you for your kind note.


Please be so good as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

Thank you for your support.