How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17628
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I own a house in my name only.which I am going to rent out.

This answer was rated:

I own a house in my name only.which I am going to rent out. As my wife is a none taxpayer is it possible under current tax legislation in the UK for her to be the nominated landlord and receive the rental in her name.
As the property is only in your name making your spouse the "nominated landlord" may not be an option.
A couple can only divide the rental income from a property between them if they both actually own a share in the let property.
The person or persons who own the property are taxed on the property income in relation to the proportion of the property they own.
You can change the property ownership by writing out a deed of trust giving her beneficial ownership from now on but you may want to speak with your solicitor prior to taking that step.
TaxRobin and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you