How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14199
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

sole trader , if I cannot pay £25k tax bill can HMRC force

Customer Question

sole trader , if I cannot pay £25k tax bill can HMRC force me to sell my house which is
jointly owned by my wife ?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question

I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

If you fail to come up with the money, or fail to put in place a payment plan to which HMRC are agreeable, HMRC will then take this to court and start bankruptcy proceedings against you.
Then the half share of the property is considered within any bankruptcy order, but the sale cannot be forced if there is no equity or less than £1000 of equity in the property.
If more, then yes a sale can be enforced.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions