How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

My mother is in care and I sold her house to pay for it. I

This answer was rated:

My mother is in care and I sold her house to pay for it. I have power of attorney and for ease I have invested the money in my name (around £300,000) but recently have received a tax form. I don't know whether to declare the interest that the investment has made against my income (this will probably bring me just short of the higher tax rate) or whether to ignore this for tax purposes as when she dies I will declare it against potential inheritance tax.

What do you mean by "when she dies I will declare it against potential inheritance tax"?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can either pretend it is already my money and declare the interest or ignore the interest it is making at the moment because it is her money and so it shouldn't be impacting on my income. She is 94 coming on 95. Do the tax revenue consider it that it is 'my money' or as someone who is a trustee do they accept that it is her money and therefore I don't have to declare it yet.


Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Hi again.

You have power of attorney over your mother's finances so that means you can make decisions and sign documents on her behalf but her assets are hers until she passes away.

The account should be in "Your name for Your Mother". The interest is hers for tax purposes, not yours, so any declaration of the interest in your own tax return would be false. If your mother is a basic rate taxpayer and the interest is having 20% tax deducted at source, she will have no further tax to pay. If she is a non-taxpayer, she will be entitled to repayment of some or all of the tax being deducted at source and you might consider lodging a form R85 with the bank or building society to have the interest paid gross and making a claim for repayment of tax deducted on a form R40. If she is a 40% taxpayer, she will have further tax to pay on the interest.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you