How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4810
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I had 4% shares in the company I worked for and I add shares

This answer was rated:

I had 4% shares in the company I worked for and I add shares through management incentive scheme.

The sold part of the business and then liquidated the remaining assets and closed the holding company as a result my part of investment including the management incentive resulted in 6.75% shares holding and I received the funds on that bases.

I had purchased the original shares.


Can I claim EP relief

I have also invested share in a new company I work for, can I claim relief on that investment
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

Entrepreneur's Relief is only available if you were investing at the start of the company's operations ie if you were an initial investor. Furthermore, you must own at least 5% of the ordinary shares in the company which give you at least 5% of the voting rights.

There is no relief on investing in shares in the company which employs you. There may ultimately be relief from Capital Gains Tax (CGT) in the event of disposal depending upon which investment scheme is used to acquire the shares.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The companies assets have been disposed. The company no longer exists or trades. Can I get relief on gains from the disposal
Depending upon the scheme under which your shares were issued will determine your liability to CGT. In any event, if you are liable for CGT, there is an Annual Exemption Allowance of 11K which could well reduce your liability significantly, maybe even to zero..
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your excellent support.