How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14199
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Hi I get an allowance of £1,000 per month via a court order

This answer was rated:


I get an allowance of £1,000 per month via a court order from my ex husband. I also rent out my property and receive £695 per month. I don't have any income apart from this. My ex-husband has told me that I don't have to pay tax but its always worrying me a little that I do.

I was wondering if you could tell me if I am liable to pay tax on this income?

Thanks for your question I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

The rental income should be declared to HMRC - whether its liable to tax or not, but as things stand you have £695 from rental income that adds to £8340 a year and the maintenance payments are NOT liable to tax.

So you can receive income of £10,000 a year so certainly are not a tax payer, but should still be advising HMRC of this rental income each tax year.

I would advise getting in touch with them -
Self Assessment Helpline

Opening hours8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Monday to Friday
8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday
Closed Sundays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day
Telephone number 0300(NNN) NNN-NNNN

And advise them that you have rental income, which whilst below your personal allowances, you understand should be declared each year.
They will then arrange to issue you with the appropriate self assessment tax returns to complete to declare the rental income and claim the relevant expenses.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you!


I am in India at the moment but will contact the tax office as soon as I return.

Hi Sue

That's great - enjoy India

And if you need any help in completing the self assessment tax returns, you can always come back to Just Answer (saving cost on the high street accountant) and if you would prefer me to help, just ask for "Sam Tax" in your opening post.

If, you have any follow up questions, regarding this situation, then do feel free to ask, but it would be appreciated if you could rate the level of service (or press accept) for the service I have provided, as this ensures I am credited for my time


Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you