How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4791
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Hi there, I will be moving to Malaysia at the end of June,

Customer Question

Hi there, I will be moving to Malaysia at the end of June, where I will work for a local book distributor, who have organised my work permit and visa. They will pay Malay taxes and I will receive UK tax free wages.

I will also be working as a consultant for my current job, a UK publishing house on a freelance basis; i.e. they will pay a gross monthly figure, for which I will invoice.

Will I still have to pay tax / do a tax return in either the UK or Malaysia or both?

I am Danish of origin and have lived in the UK for 21 years. I have no family here.

Anette Dal Jensen
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

As you leave the UK you should advise your UK tax office of your move overseas by means of a form P85. Your tax office will advise if they wish you to make a self assessment tax return for years and periods after your departure. Of course, the Malayan authorities may also require to make a return. Under the Double Taxation Treaty between the UK and Malaya you receive tax credit for tax deducted in each country and vice versa. You thus will not have to pay tax twice on the same income. It will take a bit of time for things to settle down as you will appreciate, but the P85 is vital to prevent everything going pear shaped with mutual misunderstandings!

I do hope I have been able to point the yaw ahead for you.