How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

we are considering making a gift of money to our 2 daughters

This answer was rated:

we are considering making a gift of money to our 2 daughters and 2 grand children of about £10.000 each. Would we or they have to pay tax.?


Your daughters and grandchildren will not have to pay tax on the proposed gifts. As the donor, you will have no tax to pay but see the next paragraph.

You will be treated as having made potentially exempt transfers for Inheritance Tax purposes which will not be included in the valuation of your estate so long as you live for at least seven years after making the gifts. Should you die within seven years of making the gifts, then they will be included in your estate.

Take a look here for information on Inheritance Tax and here for information on who pays it in different situations. In particular, in the second link, the section headed "When a beneficiary or a 'donee' has to pay Inheritance Tax" will be of interest.


It is possible to take out term assurance to cover a potential IHT liability though the nil-rate IHT band is first used against gifts made in the seven years before death and three years after a gift has been made, the potential IHT charge is reduced each year until the seven years have passed.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. However we will have nowhere near the amount in relation to IHT. Our savings and property are certainly not substantial.

In that case, there will be no IHT problem to consider unless you come into a large sum of money or other assets yourselves.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry to trouble you again, but please would confirm the amount of money we can have before paying IHT. Just to make sure we are ok.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry its ok now just got thee figure up(see comment below)

Each individual has a nil-rate band of £325,000. In the case of a married couple or those in a civil partnership, any nil-rate band not used by the first spouse or civil partner to die can be used by the estate of the surviving spouse as you can read here.