How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4969
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My wife and I are aged 71. We have lived in the UK all our

Customer Question

My wife and I are aged 71. We have lived in the UK all our lives but are considering moving to New Zealand, where we have residency, to reside full time with the occasional holiday back in UK. We both have state pensions which I understand will cease to be index linked and I have a Naval Pension which will continue to be index linked. Can you tell me how many days I can be in the UK for and still maintain non-resident status. Can you also tell me how to obtain Non resident status?
Thank you
EDward Cassidy
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.

Hello Edward, I'm Keith, an Army pensioner, and happy to help you with your question.

When you and your wife leave the UK complete a form P85 and send it to your tax office. This tells HMRC that you have left the UK permanently and they will mark you as non-resident from the next tax year. The tax year in which you leave will be, under an extra statutory concession, be split into 2 parts, one resideni and one non resident.

Once you are non-resident you may spend only 90 days in the UK in each tax year to retain non-resident status.

You are correct in your thinking that certain benefits, eg State Pension may be frozen as at date of departure, New Zealand is not one of the countries, unlike the USA, where the UK has an agreement on this matter. The UK Government is under heavy pressure to rectify the matter of frozen benefits generally . Freeze does not apply to your RN pension which will continue to enjoy PIs [advice from the Forces Pension Society]

I do hope I have thrown some light on your question..