How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4948
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I pay my tax on line in the normal way, and this tax year will

This answer was rated:

I pay my tax on line in the normal way, and this tax year will pay aprox £1250.
In December I purchased a flat and intend to sell it this year. The profit on the sale will be
£10,000 after expenses. Do I have to add this profit to my normal income or is it treated separately as CGT, and how much would I have to pay on this sum?
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

You declare it as a capital gain in your annual self assessment tax return. If it were your sole or main domestic residence you would normally be entitled to Private Residence Relief at 100% of the gain. Were this not the case and the gain be subject to CGT your liability would still be zero as you have an Annual Exempt Allowance of 11K and you are only making 10K gain on the transaction.

That is the general situation from the data you have given me. CGT is highly complex, but in any event you would appear to have escaped its clutches anyway.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank yoiu for your sipport.