How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14157
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

can i claim tax credit as i have just been made redundant and

Customer Question

can i claim tax credit as i have just been made redundant and my wife works full time
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

Your wife might be entitled to claim tax credits - but much will be dependent on her level of income, how many ours are worked and whether you have any children of school age.

I have added a link here for the online calculator which will advise whether there is a claim due, and also how to make a claim, if this is the case.

For you, a claim for Jobseekers allowance is possibly available, and there are two types of claim -
1) Contributions based, if you have paid sufficient National Insurance contributions or
2)Means tested which looks at the household income

I have also provided a link here regarding a considered Jobseekers allowance claim.


Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.
Hi Michael

Hope you were able to use the online calculator to establish whether you had a claim for tax credits