How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4800
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I need information confirming that I was self employed in 1996

Customer Question

I need information confirming that I was self employed in 1996 for the insurance onbudsman
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

Have you, by any chance, your Income Tax Assessment for the appropriate period. This would indicate if you had Schedule DI or DII income which is self employment. Indeed, any correspondence with your tax office might throw some light on your employment position.

With respect you should always keep tax information. My own tax files go back to 1961 when I started work and it was my Mother, who was responsible for the introduction of PAYE into the BBC in the 40s, who advised me never to destroy tax files. It is amazing how useful these have been over the years.

Alternatively, have you any correspondence with clients for the period in question? These might show that you were self employed.