How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I have just had my tax code changed from 1051L to 156L. I

This answer was rated:

I have just had my tax code changed from 1051L to 156L. I started to receive my State Pension from 09/05/2014 at the annual rate of £6932pa. My salary for May, Gross for tax is £2305.47 but this was using tax code 1051L for which £291.80 was deducted for income tax.
I also have two other pensions, one paying £720pa gross (now having tax code D0) and the other paying £3487 pa gross.
What is the tax likely to be on my June salary? What would the tax implication be if my salary were to increase to £3315 per month?

Can you confirm whether the 156L tax code has "M1" or "W1" at the end of it please. Are there are deductions in it other than your state pension such as employment benefits, company car or private medeical insurance for example?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The HMRC letter states ' Your new tax code for the year from 6 April 2014 to 5 April is 156L which replaces 1015L' There is no M1 or W1 mentioned.


Leave this with me while I draft my answer.

Hi again.

It would appear that the tax office has included your state pension of £6,932 and your private pension of £3,487 part of them at least if they have only just started in the current tax year in your tax code of 156L as those two pensions are paid without deduction of tax at source. I cannot quite get to allowances of £1,560 so you need to check your copy of the tax code or with the tax office on the number here to find out exactly what deductions are in it. If the two pensions mentioned have only just started, then the amount you will receive from each in 2014/15 will not quite equate to a full tax year's worth.

Given that there appears to be no M1 or W1 at the end of your tax code, it will effectively be backdated to 6 April 2013 so the tax deduction for May or the month when it is first used will be more than had it been used from the start of the tax year. In a regular month, you will pay tax of about £434.83. Use the calculator here to check your tax when your tax code changes.

If you salary does not increase in 20148/15, you will be a basic rate taxpayer so the code on your pension of £720 per annum should be BR, not D0.

If you salary was £3,315 per month, in a full tax year on a code of 156L, you would pay tax of £742.62 per month. The tax code on the small pension would need to be D0 as you would be a 40% taxpayer.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks Tony. I now currently put 10% of my gross salary into an ongoing pension pot. What would be the tax be on £3315 per month figure if I were to put into the pension pot 20%

Is your pension contribution paid through the payroll, ie is it shown as a deduction from your pay on your payslip or do you pay it from your own bank account to a private pension scheme?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tony


Paid through the payroll.


If you contributed 20% of a £3,315 per month salary via the payroll into your pension, you would pay tax of about £504 per month. Most pension contributions paid through the payroll are given tax relief at the top rate of tax paid by the employee but some payrolls restrict it to 20% so any higher rate tax relief has to be claimed via the tax code or at the end of the tax year via a tax return. You should check that out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks Tony


Rating - 'EXCELLENT'


Kind regards


Thanks. You need to click on a rating button to register it.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you