How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17610
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I have sold a second property and know i will have to pay CGT

This answer was rated:

I have sold a second property and know i will have to pay CGT and have no mortgage on this house but if I use the proceeds to pay off my existing mortgage on my first house can i defer payment until that property is sold
Unfortunately using the proceeds to pay down or pay off your mortgage on your first home would not afford any relief from CGT on the sale.
If you sell or dispose of a property that does not qualify for Private Residence Relief you must work out the gain or loss.
There may be some Capital Gains Tax reliefs you can use if your property has been used for business purposes (such as letting).
If you did not, you would pay CGT on the profit of the sell.

For assistance in working out your gain you will find the following HMRC page very helpful:
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you