How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14188
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Hi, I visited the UK on a 2year working visa in 2004 and 2005.

This answer was rated:

Hi, I visited the UK on a 2year working visa in 2004 and 2005. when i left i submitted tax returns and received a response that i owed tax of approximately 2000 pounds. I disputed the amount in writing as my friends who i worked with submitted the same returns and all received a refund from HMRC. I never received feedback from them but received updated bills 3 or 4 times in the year or two thereafter. I have never paid this tax as I wanted to dispute it. I have not had any response since then although I have moved a few times and had 2 new contact numbers since. My question lis does this get written off and cleared after so many years? I would like to visit the UK again at some point and do not want to get arrested at Hethro upon arrival. please advise.


Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

I am afraid this tax never gets written off - and I would urge you to make contact with HMRC again to establish the position regarding this disputed tax.
The fact you have moved address and changed contact details since this was first advised of, is the only reason you have not heard from HMRC but the tax will still be owed, unless the communications you made with HMRC resolved this issue to reduce the tax said to be owed.

I would write to them and try and get this matter cleared up so you can revisit the UK with no fears of your arrival.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much Sam. My other concerns are that if they did not reduce or clear etc the tax for me that the amount owing now would be exorbitant. To be honest I am back home and can't afford to pay this large sum of money. Now if they do get hold of me and i am now liable for a huge sum of money I am not in a position to be able to afford to pay this. what is your advice for this?

Hi Donovan

Thanks for your response

First I would make contact with them and establish what is owed, I would then proceed with establishing whether they have dealt with your correspondence appealing this amount.
If you have kept copies of your letters to them, then provide these.

If there is no way forward to have this amount looked at, as to whether it is correct (which considering how long ago this was, the time scale has long passed, so you may find there is no more you can do) then all I can propose is that you offer them a payment plan of what is owed, this may take some time, but at least you are clearing the amount owed, and are then in a position of dealing with this matter.

If you need an address to send your letter to (if you no longer have correspondence) then please advise. But if you could rate the level of service I have provided, it would be appreciated, as this ensures I am credited for my time.



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you