How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

do I submit my gross income for self employment or can I take

This answer was rated:

do I submit my gross income for self employment or can I take off
My non taxable allowance, £7,500
My ISA deposits, £3000
My donations, £1500
then submit the remaining income?

If you are completing your self-assessment tax return, then you include your gross income for self-employment (the turnover or the amount of income generated in your business before expenses). You then give details of business expenses.

A payment into an ISA is not a business expense so you should exclude that from your business expenses. Charitable donations made through gift aid have a specific box in the tax return (see page TR4 here). They are not a business expense for somebody who is self-employed. Your personal allowance will be given automatically by the HMRC computer and should not be included in your business expenses as it is not a business expense.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have nay further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you