How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

inherited shares in 1999, sold them in May 2014. made a profit

This answer was rated:

inherited shares in 1999, sold them in May 2014. made a profit in excess of capital gains allowance. any type of taper relief available on this gain over all this time?

I'm afraid that taper relief was withdrawn for disposals after 5 April 2008. You get the annual exemption and you can use capital losses brought forward to reduce your net gains for the year to the annual exemption level. In certain circumstances, you can use trading losses against capital gains as you will read here.

I hope this clarifies things for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you