How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

On the death of my wife I received a some of money when the

This answer was rated:

On the death of my wife I received a some of money when the insurance company paid out her life policy. Do I declare this and if so where?

Thanks for your question. I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

Insurance polices paid out on death are not usually liable to income tax, as the premiums would have been paid for from taxed income.
This being the case there is no need to declare this to HMRC

If there was a tax position arising - then the policy provider would have provided you with a chargeable event certificate - did this occur?



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you