How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

At the moment I have to pay tax on all income being a shared

This answer was rated:

At the moment I have to pay tax on all income being a shared lives carer. If I become a guardian of the same service user, what is the position then with reference to tax?

Many Thanks

Can you tell me who you look after (child or adult) and confirm they live with you please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the adult does live with me at this address and has done so for 22 years.


Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How long will the draft take as I am going out soon? Thanks

I'm drafting my answer now. I needed to find supporting documents which I now have.
Hi again.

I'm not sure why you pay income tax on all your income as a shared lives carer as it says here that you should qualify for the same tax concessions as a foster carer, the tax rules for which you can find in HS236 here.

If you become a guardian for an adult, I'm afraid that the tax exemption for qualifying guardian payments which took effect on 6 April 2010 only applies to child placements. Take a look here for more information on this.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you