How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14153
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

going to work in Denmark, from England, self enployed, what

Customer Question

going to work in Denmark, from England, self enployed, what tax to pay, to who
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question

I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer,

Could you advise when this job will start and when it is planned to cease, and whether you will move to Denmark to live and work.
If you plan to stay in the UK, and merely go abroad each week or month.
Will you be paid from the UK or Denmark
Will you retain any property in the UK - will you rent this out to tenants, and will you have any other ties in the Uk such as immediate family.

I can then advise further


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its the tunnel job in copenhagan , pos 2 -3 years, job to start now, would be working 1 month at a time with long week end back in england x 12 times a year. own house in England , would be renting in Denmark.

To bill Irish firm 9.500 euro each month.

mother at home and help out money wise

Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.
Hi John

Thanks for your response

As this will last at least a full tax year (so beyond 06/04/2016) as long as your visits back to the UK do not exceed more than 90 days each full tax year (which runs from 6th April to 5th April) then you will be treated as not resident in the UK, which means no UK tax liability.
But you will have a tax liability in Denmark, as this is where you will undertake the work and live.
We are a UK tax forum so we are not experts in the Danish tax system so do seek advise once you get there.
But I have added a link here that details the tax position in Denmark with general information.

I would also advise that you check with the contractor engaging you to establish whether they handle registering for you in Denmark, or whether you have to do this yourself, and whether they have a tax contact for you in Denmark so you make sure you get matters right from the beginning.

For the UK when you are due to leave, you need to complete form P85 - Leaving the UK so HMRC know you will be going abroad to work and be able to award you the status of being treated as not resident for UK tax purposes. Enclose your P45 with this form, as there is likely to be a tax refund due on the tax you have paid since 6th April 2014.
Link to form P85 here

Do feel free to ask any follow up questions