How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4956
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I purchased a commercial property back in November 2013 I have

This answer was rated:

I purchased a commercial property back in November 2013 I have converted it it to a guest house can I claim a capital allowance against any part of the renovation and when can I claim from.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

Unfortunately no, but the cost of the conversion is added to the purchase price and inflates it thus reducing the gain on sale. This gain would be the subject of Capital Gains Tax at some future indeterminate sale date.

As a general rule improvements eg new kitchens, installation of central heating etc are relieved for tax in this way. Routine repairs and maintenance remain normal expenditure which can be set against trading profits.

Capital allowances do not come into this matter, sorry. You may have to wait a long time to recover your costs.

I do hope I have been able to help you with your question.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your excellent support.