How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am being chased by hmrc for a 2006/7 tax return. A couple

This answer was rated:

I am being chased by hmrc for a 2006/7 tax return. A couple of years ago I thought I had resolved all outstanding issues from 2007/8 onwards but they never mentioned this was outstanding. When I look back to old records I can see I made two estimated payments and then a balance payment based on a determination they made. I think I must have assumed that was it. What are the penalties and what do I do?

Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

Whilst HMRC have made a determination (in the absence of the tax return) you are still required to get this completed and submitted.

The figures on the 2006/2007 return may prove to be less than the determined amount, but as the 2006/2007 tax year is no longer in date, the determination made would be the tax deemed to be owed, which you advise you have paid.

So at best you will have a £100 penalty for the late return - (although this should be waivered as the £100 penalty charge where NIL tax is due was only introduced from 06/04/2008 an it may be that all taxes have been paid through the determination, but if further tax is due, then this £100 charge will apply )but at worst if you owe more tax, then this will be asked for, along with interest (at 3%)

However, I would be inclined to contact HMRC and ask why you were not advised of 2006/2007 outstanding return when you resolved all the later years, as you clearly would have dealt with that earlier year too.
You will find HMRC will still expect the tax return to be filled in,- but ANY charges that arise I would urge you to appeal on the basis that HMRC failed to advise you of the true position, allowing you to being your affairs up to date.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you