How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Can I ask a supplementary question in relation to registering

This answer was rated:

Can I ask a supplementary question in relation to registering with the French tax authorities as you advised?

Hello Rosalie, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.


I will try to answer your questions, but only can impart general detail on French Tax. Please remember that France has five times as many tax inspectors per head of population as the UK and that their tax is so complex that one is always advised to engage a local professional.


I will be around all day today and as I am answering from New York I have 5 hours in hand, that being the time difference!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.



I thought I was still in touch with TonyTax who answered my questions last week and sent a message asking me if I needed further information. I just had one further question to ask, but I think it makes no sense now to start again, especially as you can only answer general questions on French tax. I think that Tony Tax had more specific knowledge. But not to worry - I can manage without asking this further question. But I hope I won't be charged for this?!!


Sorry Rosalie, your original question did not mention Tony so I will opt out.

I can't guarantee I will be able to answer your French tax question and you can get a refund of any deposit you make. If you let me know what the question is, I'll take a look.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The additional question was: as we will now have to register with the main tax authorities for the rental income we receive I am concerned that the gardener and cleaner we pay in CASH will be in trouble if the authorities chase them up for not declaring it. Can you advise on whether it is likely that we or our cleaner etc. will be penalised or chased up for this?

If this is too speciic then please don't bother to answer but I would, if possible, like my deposit back?



If you paid the gardener and cleaner in cash, you may not have receipts and if that is the case and the French tax office ask for sight of your expense receipts, they may be inclined to disallow any expenditure that you cannot prove. As in the UK, if the gardener and cleaner are not declaring all their income, they may have problems with the tax office but that really is not your problem.

You should ask for receipts from the gardener and cleaner and, if they ask why, tell them that you need them to be able to claim the costs against your tax.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, thanks. I think it unlikely that the gardener etc will want to give us a receipt!


I think you are probably correct in that thought.
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience: Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.



Thanks for accepting my answer.

If you need to ask any questions here in future and you would like me to answer them, all you need to do is mention my name in the body of the question and make it clear that it should be left for me. If I cannot answer it, I will let you know so you can decide whether it leave it open for another expert or have it closed and ask for a refund.

Please don't respond to this post unless you have a further question on the same topic as it will require me to respond before I can answer other questions. Ignore any emails you may receive to respond to me in relation to this post.