How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Both my husband and I have accepted voluntary redundancy. I

This answer was rated:

Both my husband and I have accepted voluntary redundancy. I stopped work on 29 April, he stopped on 6 June. We have left the UK and moved to Spain.
Should we just do the regular self assessment to claim back overpaid tax or do we need to do a P50? Thanks

You could each complete a P50. Alternatively, you could each complete a P85 which is more appropriate for those who have left the UK. Either way, keep a copy of any forms and letters. Chase the tax office on the number here after four weeks and every two weeks thereafter.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks - I have also received a reminder to complete my self assessment (as my annual salary used to be above 100k). Should I mention the redundancy payment there as well? I don't think so as I received the payment on 7 May and the self assessment covers the period of 6 April 2013 - 5 April 2014.

The redundancy payment will not need to be disclosed in your 2013/14 tax return. You could make mention in the space for notes that you have left the UK and that you will be submitting a P50 or a P85 for 2014/15 so you will not need a tax return for 2014/15. Whether the tax office will take any notice is open is question but you can but try.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you