How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15976
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I have a property that I have rented out for a few years and

This answer was rated:

I have a property that I have rented out for a few years and now that I am getting a new tenant ,I want to come clean and register for tax. I live in another Country now so they know I left the u.k a few years ago.
Q1) if I register,will they ask what I have been doing with property since I left or will they just let me start paying tax from when new tenant moved in?
Q2)what is the tax on £13,520 per year
Q3) This is a leasehold property and I pay approx £1,250 per year on service charges, will all of this be deducted from tax owed..?
Q4)capital gains tax on appreciation on property .how much could this be if they go back a few years. .?
Q5)if I decided to sell,what is the Capital gains on this % wise and do I pay U.K and country I live in tax.


Q1 If you haven't registered for self-assessment, you should do so as soon as possible using a form SA1. You will note that if you select that you have a let property as your reason for registering, it asks for a date from which the property has been let. You cannot expect HMRC to let you off the hook for periods prior to your having a new tenant simply because you didn't register for self-assessment.

Take a look at the notes on the non-resident landlord scheme here which directly affect you.

Q2 Assuming that you are a UK citizen and the figure of £13,250 is your rental profit after deduction of allowable expenses and rental losses brought forward, if there are any, you will be entitled to the personal allowance which is £10,000 for 2014/15 so you would pay tax at 20% on £3,250 which is £650.00.

Q3 The service charge will come off your rental income, not your tax. An expense of £1,250 will reduce your tax liability by £250.00 (20%).

Q4 If you left the UK by 5 April 2013, any assets owned by you before you left and which you sell whilst living abroad, will be exempt from UK Capital Gains Tax so long as you complete five full tax years as a non-UK resident. The five full tax year period would have started on the first 6 April after you left the UK, assuming that was by 5 April 2013. If you return to the UK before the five full tax year period is completed, gains on any assets you held before you left the UK and which you sold whilst abroad, would be subject to UK CGT in the tax year of your return to the UK.

Q5 See the answer to Q4. There have been two rates of CGT in the UK since the summer of 2010, 18% and 28% with the first £11,000 of gains being exempt. The rate or combination of rates that you pay will be dependent on the sum total of your income and gains in the tax year. You may have to pay CGT in the country that you live in but that depends where you live and you should take local advice on that.

Finally, it is the UK government's intention to tax the gains made by non-UK residents when they sell UK residential property with effect from 6 April 2015. However, it is expected that only the gain which accrues from 6 April 2015 to the date of sale will be taxed. That will mean that the property will need to be valued as at 5 April 2015 as that value will become the new cost for UK CGT purposes.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Tony, great help.
Going back to question 1) in your opinion , if I self assess that a tenant was moving in on the 1st July 2014 do you think they would look at the year I left the U.K and start asking whether it was rented between then and now?what would be the consequence s if I lied and they found out..?
Question 2 ) I am not a uk citizen anymore , what does this mean in relation to tax on income ?
1 They probably would but its not guaranteed. HMRC do have access to property databases. Eventually, those who have let property and not reported the income for whatever reason, are caught up with. If you knowingly give false information, you may be committing a criminal offence.

2 Which country are you a citizen of?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Take a look at the notes here. Even though you are a citizen of Ireland now, you are still a UK national. Either way, you are entitled to the UK personal allowance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks so much for your help
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you