How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14194
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am self employed and married but my wife does not work.Can

This answer was rated:

I am self employed and married but my wife does not work.Can I claim any tax back as i believ ter is no longer any married couples allowance.I am 61 years old and my wife is 58.

Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

Married couples allowance is only available for those married couples, one of whom was born before 6/04/1935, which sadly does not apply to you. So you do not have a claim for this.

So you will be allocated the basic personal allowances - which for 2013/2014 allow you to earn the first £9440 tax free (this is restricted if your net income is in excess of £100,000)

Let me know if you have any follow up questions or any further struggles with the online return


Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you