How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have an office at home and have been told I can claim expenses

This answer was rated:

I have an office at home and have been told I can claim expenses from this.Could you let me know what I can claim in relation to this

Thanks for your question and for asking for me.

Can you advise if you are self employed and if so what your trade is (if employed, where does your employment contract state is your work location) how often you actually work from home, and whether this room is exclusively a room for business purposes, or used for other reasons.

I can then advise your choices of claim.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am a project manager for various construction sites in london, i work for periodes every weekkday and some weekends, and the room is just a office with office equipment

Hi Martin

And are you employed? Or self employed?
If employed what does your employment contract state regarding your work location.

And what work do you actually conduct at home, that you do not conduct on site?


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am self employed, and print survey drawings/construction drawings, control health and safety documents and carry out labour planning for certain area,s, checking on wages

Hi Martin

Thanks for your response

Then it would seem that you have a valid claim for working from home.

As the room is setup as an office and only used for business, then you have three choices of how to make a claim for this expense.

First a standard flat rate as of 6 April 2013, is
· £10 a month for 25 hours to 50 hours working from home

· £18 a month for over 50 to 100 hours

· £26 a month for over 100 hours

Or secondly you count up the amount of habitable rooms in your home (excluding bathroom and kitchen) and can have a proportion of the heating and lighting costs. So say you had 6 habitable rooms, one of which was an office, then you could make an initial claim of 1/6 x total heating and lighting costs.
But then this figure would need to be restricted to the amount of time you do actually spend working there.

The third method is similar to the second, only you measure up the square footage of your home, and the square footage of the room in questions, and allow the percentage that is relevant to the room you use (again further restrictions to reflect the time actually spent there)

Other expenses such as rents can be claimed - but you would need to ensure this was permitted by your landlord that you work from home in this manner, and the same applies to the interest element of any mortgage you pay, but note, then when you come to sell the property that capital gains would be a consideration.
Also this would then potentially attract business rates on that one room, so be mindful of this.

A proportion of buildings and contents insurance is permitted (using the same method you do for the heating and lighting) council tax, and water rates.


Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you