How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

my tax code has changed but my employer refuses to change my

This answer was rated:

my tax code has changed but my employer refuses to change my code as it has not come to them on the tax office download . HAve contacted tax office 3 times who state they have sent p6 form to employer and on last two occasions resent it . Employer state they have never received the tax code and refuse to speak to tax office although taqx office state they can confirm by phone . how can i get out of this vicious circle please


You say you have left the company. Is this the same company that is refusing to change the tax code they use as they say they haven't received it? Should the new code be being operated against your pension from that company or should it have been used against your salary? Are the same people in charge of both the salary and pension payrolls? Do you have your copy of the revised tax coding?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

same company new code takes into account pension payment

same people do both payrolls


Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

further to above have copy of revised pay code of dated 24 april 2014 of 350L company are using code of OT

Hi again.

I'm afraid that your former employer/current pension payer is being somewhat intransigent.

Most PAYE tasks are handled online now and there is a learning curve for everybody. As you have told them that your tax code has changed, they really should contact the tax office on the phone to confirm the change if they haven't received the P6 online. As they are using an 0T tax code instead of the 350L tax code, you are having too much tax deducted assuming that the 350L code is the correct one. When you retire, there should be a smooth transition of your tax code to your pension and as both your salary and pension have been operated by the same people, there really should not be any problems.

If I were you, I'd tell your former employer that there are penalties for employers who operate PAYE incorrectly. Take a look at the notes here and here. They mention using incorrect tax codes which have been superseded by electronically issued codes. HMRC have a record of codes issued electronically so even though your former employer may be able to show that the revised tax code was not received, the fact that you have told them the code has changed really makes them obliged to check it out. If there is anybody in authority at your former employer you can speak to other than the payroll people then I'd suggest you try that before contacting HMRC again.

If your former employer refuses to contact HMRC, you can ask HMRC to contact them as it says in the notes. If HMRC refuse to call your former employer, then I would escalate the matter into a complaint. You can read about that procedure here. The complaints managers are usually quite good at banging heads together and sorting problems out. There is no excuse for both of your former employer and HMRC doing nothing.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your advice



There is no need to respond to this even though it is labelled as an Info Request. I'm just responding to your post so I can answer other questions.