How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MyVirtualCPA Your Own Question
MyVirtualCPA, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16632
Experience:  CPA with Master's degree in accounting
Type Your Tax Question Here...
MyVirtualCPA is online now

A UK tax resident will become US tax resident shortly and he

This answer was rated:

A UK tax resident will become US tax resident shortly and he wants to cash in his UK pension under the new pension rules after July 2015. Will he be tax on this pension cashing in in the US?
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I am an American CPA.

Article 18 of the US-UK tax treaty states that you are only taxed in your country of residence. Therefore, if you are a US tax resident you will be taxed on the pension. If you are a UK tax resident you will be taxed there. If you're both, then you are taxed in both places but in the US you can take a tax credit for the taxes you pay to the UK.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thanks so much :-)
MyVirtualCPA and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you