How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4797
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Hi im self employed but also being employed by the council

Customer Question

Hi i'm self employed but also being employed by the council who pay tax for me. How does this work in terms of me filling out my self assessment. Do i have to put through the council wages as well
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.


Yes, you do have to file both your self assessment and your PAYE income together on your annual self assessment tax return. It is a pretty straight forward process and you also declare any investment income eg bank or building society deposit accounts interest on the same form. Your tax office will then send you a statement of any additional tax and NI contributions due. If the unpaid tax is under 3K you can have this collected through PAYE by having your tax code number reduced.


I do hope I have helped you with your question.