How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Hello. I moved from Italy to the UK for work and Im UK resident

This answer was rated:

I moved from Italy to the UK for work and I'm UK resident since may 2013.
I'm now UK resident but there's an overlap in the financial years (1/jan-31/dec in Italy, 5/apr-4/apr in the UK) and I don't know if I should fill a self-assessment for foreign earnings (april and may 2013) from my previous job (and, in case, which calculations to apply).

As a note, I know how to request for a self-assessment, but I don't know what numbers to write and if I should or not.

When did you arrive in the UK exactly? Did you stop working in Italy before you arrived in the UK, ie were your earnings for those two months, April 2013 and May 2013, earned while you were outside the UK? Have you been asked by the tax office to complete a 2014 tax return?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I stopped working the 20th of May 2013 in Italy, arrived in the UK the 28th of May, started working the 3rd of June in the UK.


I received the last working month payment in Italy (May) the 7th of June, then the "contract ending" payment the 8th of August (it's called TFR in Italy, which is not a payment for a specific month, but a sum that the company keeps monthly on the employer behalf and give it back when you leave. When you get it, it's not considered as income for the current year and get taxed separately, considering the number of years you worked for the company).


I registered for self assessment due to foreign interests earned on a bank account (about 2300£): I thought about my previous job earnings when filling the self assessment, just because of the questions to fill online.




Leave this with me while I draft my answer.

Hi again.

When you come to the UK, the tax year which runs from 6 April to 5 April is called a split year. So, in your case, the 2013/14 tax year is split into periods running from 6 April 2013 to 27 May 2013 and from 28 May 2013 to 5 April 2014.

You do not need to include earnings or income from abroad which arose before 28 May 2013 in your 2014 tax return. That includes the "contract ending" payment or TFR which is taxed in Italy as it was earned before you arrived in the UK notwithstanding the fact that it was paid to after you arrived in the UK.

If you are paying tax in the UK on all your income from wherever it is derived (as opposed to the remittance basis which you can read about here), you need to use the SA106 tax return pages. You should also complete the SA109 tax return pages. If there are any boxes you have a problem with let me know.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have nay further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Hi again.

I have to go out for an hour or so but I will be back to answer any further questions that you may have.