How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17218
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

My son is living rent free in an apartment owned by me. Is

This answer was rated:

My son is living rent free in an apartment owned by me. Is there any tax liability for either party?
Unless you, the landlord charges a full market rent for a property (and imposes normal market lease conditions) it is unlikely that the expenses of the property are incurred wholly and exclusively for business purposes. So, strictly, they can’t be deducted in arriving at rental business profits.
If you let a property below the market rate to a relative (as opposed to providing it rent-free), you can deduct the expenses of that property up to the rent you get from it. This means that the uncommercially let property produces neither a profit nor a loss, but the excess expenses cannot be carried forward to be used in a later year.
When a property is occupied rent free, it is completely outside the property income regime.
The son would not be receiving a taxable housing benefit if he is not employed by the parent.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you