How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

If a UK registered ltd company buys a residential property

This answer was rated:

If a UK registered ltd company buys a residential property in the UK to let out, does it have to charge VAT on the rent
Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I a one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
Only of the purchase was with the option to tax, which as a residential property is unlikely.
So no, VAT does not need to be charged on the rents, as unless the option to tax arises on the building purchase, then its an exempt supply (in which case you also cannot claim back any VAT costs incurred on purchases/costs for this property either
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you