How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15975
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

UK residents with foreign income or gains: certificates of

This answer was rated:

UK residents with foreign income or gains: certificates of residence..i need to get the COR for my advance and future income from Japan.

You can get a certificate of UK tax residence by reading the notes here and applying for a certificate here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks so much for this. I've downloaded and printed the application but it seems very complicated, and I can't seen to download a copy of the notes to help me fill it in. Also, there doesn't seem to be any bit in the application where I can fill in my writer name and book title, or indeed any reference at all to what I need the Certificate for, which I'd been led to expect there would be. Is this definitely the right document I need for exemption for tax on my Japanese royalties, or does it by any chance have a different title?


This is the only form that you can complete to get a UK tax residence certificate. You don't need to download it as you can complete it online.

If I were you, I'd put the name of the book and your writing name in the box "Types and amount of income for the period" near the bottom of the form. It is a general form and cannot be as specific as you would like. Article 12 of the UK/Japan double tax treaty here deals with royalties.

There is a box which asks why you need the certificate which you can write up to 2,000 characters in about two-thirds of the way down.