How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17167
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

hi I am paying BR on my salary and my personal allowance is

This answer was rated:

I am paying BR on my salary and my personal allowance is put against my Morrisons \pension should this not be the other way round, also I have been taxed £381.20 on earnings of £1129.07 is this correct as it looks a bit excessive and looks as it has been taxed at 40%
Your Personal Allowance - your tax-free pay - will normally only apply to your main job or pension.
You are given a 'BR code' for your second job or pension - this means that you pay basic rate tax on all your income from this employer.
You can share your Personal Allowance across several jobs or pensions but only if your income is low enough to allow that. If you don't pay tax on your earnings from your pension and you're not using all of your Personal Allowance you can tell HMRC to use what's left in your second job.
Example from HMRC: your Personal Allowance is £10,000 (tax year 2014 to 2015) and you have PAYE income from two jobs - income of £3,500 from your main job and income of £1,500 from your second job. You can tell HMRC to use £6,500 of your unused Personal Allowance (£10,000 less £3,500) from your pension against your income from your second job so that you don't have to pay tax on either income.
Your pension is more so it is your main payment.
It was correct for HMRC to have your allowance on your pension though.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you