How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15976
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

i have found a old cheque payable to me for overpaid tax is

This answer was rated:

i have found a old cheque payable to me for overpaid tax is it still valid


If it is over six months old, it cannot be presented for payment through your bank.

Call the number here, explain the situation and ask them to which tax office you should send the cheque/payable order so that you can get a replacement. They may tell you to destroy it once you have given them the details as they can confirm through their own checks and procedures that it has not been presented.

If you have to return it to HMRC, I would recommend that you keep a copy of the cheque/payable order and send the original back by signed for guaranteed delivery. Give HMRC a month before you start to chase them on the phone.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you