How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

i am a non-resident uk property owner. am i liable to tax

This answer was rated:

i am a non-resident uk property owner. am i liable to tax in the uk. am i to file annualn tax returns?

You say that you have been filing self-assessment tax returns. Have you been disclosing the UK rental income and expenses in those returns? Which nationality are you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i have been disclosing uk rental income and expenses. i aqm a Nigerian, but come into thje uk once a year and receive penalty letters always

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am a Nigerian. yes i do disclose my uk rental income and expenses but i do incur a lot of tax penalties because i am around only once a year and the letters wait for me for months


As a non-resident landlord, you are due to submit tax returns to disclose UK source income and pay tax on any profit I'm afraid. Take a look here for information on your eligibility for personal tax allowances.

If you submit your returns late and/or pay any tax due late then you will get penalties I'm afraid. Take a look here for information on the penalties which are charged for late filing of tax returns and for late payment of tax due.

For example, the 2012/13 tax return covering the year ended 5 April 2013 was due to be submitted by 31 January 2014 at the latest. Miss it by one day and you get fined £100. The fines mount up as the delay in submission gets longer. You can appeal against penalties.

As you are a non-resident landlord, you should be aware of the non-resident landlord scheme which you can read about here.

You should notify HMRC of your address abroad so that you get notifications from HMRC earlier.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you