How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Pensions: I have a private pension I have accessed for a few

This answer was rated:

I have a private pension I have accessed for a few years. From April will it be possible for me to take 100% of the savings out rather than depend on a small monthly annuity?

If you have already had the tax free lump sum from your pension and you bought an annuity with the balance and that has been in payment for a "a few years" as you say, as opposed to making irregular withdrawals on a drawdown basis, I'm afraid that you cannot reverse that situation now.

If you are still within the "cooling off period" after having taken the tax free lump sum and choosing an annuity which I very much doubt or you haven't chosen an annuity and are making irregular withdrawals on a drawdown basis or none at all, then you may be able to access the undrawn funds.

You ought to consult your pension payer for confirmation of your options, if any.

Take alook here and here (paragraph 3.22 on page 24 is relevant to you) for more information on pension choices in the light of the new rules.

I hope this clarifies your situation but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you