How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4964
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Hi, I work for a Norwegian company and pay Norwegian tax.

This answer was rated:

I work for a Norwegian company and pay Norwegian tax. I live in the UK. Each year I fill in my UK Self Assessment tax return and each year I neither owe any extra tax or receive a refund. This year however after filling in the HMRC online tax form it appears I am due a refund. This is all very nice, however because I haven't received one in the past I am sceptical. Has the treatment of foreign income changed? Have I missed out on a refund in previous years? Is it normal for the UK government to refund tax paid to a foreign government?
Thanks in advance for looking at this.
Hello Dave, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
As far as you are concerned there has been no change. It is possible, however, that your tax return revealed an over payment of UK tax at some time. You should have received from HMRC a statement of your tax position after each annual self assessment return. You should always check these for accuracy, after all everyone makes mistakes occasionally. This would not be refunded Norwegian tax, but a UK taxation matter.
The ball is in your court. You may have to look back in your records in the absence of data from HMRC.
I do hope I have helped you with your query.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.