How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5142
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Hi There, We have a question regarding VAT. we are importing

Customer Question

Hi There,
We have a question regarding VAT. we are importing a car from the US on behalf of a client and want to know if we need to charge VAT on the total fee, or just on our commission?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Normally, if you import a car from outside the EU you pay VAT and duty due.

You don't have to pay duty or VAT if you meet the following conditions:
- you are moving your normal home to the UK
- you have had your normal home outside the EU for a continuous period of at least 12 months
- you have possessed and used the vehicle for at least 6 months outside the EU
- you didn't get the vehicle under a duty/tax-free scheme
- you're going to keep the vehicle for your personal use for at least 12 months after it's imported.

You must fill in and sign form C104A.. More information on this can be found here

You should certainly charge VAT on your commission because this relates to service provided. As far as VAT on the vehicle is concerned, it would be depend on whether the above HMRC conditions are met or not

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.