How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4950
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Tax implications for demolishing my home and creating two building

This answer was rated:

Tax implications for demolishing my home and creating two building plots one for sale and one for me to build new home
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
Here is the advice from which:
'Capital gains tax is normally not payable on gains you make on your only or main home, because these qualify for private residence relief (PRR). But all or part of any gain will usually be taxable if:
You develop your home – for example by converting part into flats
You sell part of your garden and your total plot is over half a hectare (1.2 acres)'
So, assuming that your home was your sole of main domestic residence, then Private Residence Relief will apply. PRR relieves Capital Gains Tax (CGT) by 100%.
So having cleared that hurdle providing the total plot does not exceed 1.2 acres (half a hectare) PPR will apply to your site and you will escape CGT on your proposed development.
I do hope I have shed some light on your question.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Thank you for your excellent support.