How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5147
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I am a 75 year old widow who pays standard rate income tax.

This answer was rated:

I am a 75 year old widow who pays standard rate income tax. I have partner (we are not married) who lives on the continent and would like to send money to my current account each month. The amount suggested is £1000 per calendar month and is purely as a gift. Would this extra money have any effect on my tax position ?
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Gifts are free of taxation in the UK. You as a recipient of a cash gift would receive it free of any tax.
You don't have to report the sum received on your tax return.

Please safeguard yourself by having some form of documention from your partner confirming it is a gift.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you for accepting my answer.
Your reward of a generious bonus is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes.