How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I live abroad and own a company in uk if I sell do I owe any

This answer was rated:

I live abroad and own a company in uk if I sell do I owe any tax I have been out of uk for 6years and pay tax where I live


If you sell the shares that you own in the UK limited company, then you will not have to pay Capital Gains Tax in the UK on any gain you make as you appear to be non-UK resident. You would need to take local advice as to the tax position in the country you live in.

As you left the UK before 6 April 2013, in order to avoid having to pay UK CGT on gains made on assets you owned when you left the UK and that you may sell whilst non-UK resident, you should not resume UK tax residence within five complete UK tax years of leaving. The five year period would have started on the first 6 April after you left the UK.

Take a look here for more information.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you