How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17153
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I Purchased on Ebay a Vespa Scooter

This answer was rated:

I Purchased on Ebay a Vespa Scooter Which had no Registration Number , The Scooter was bought from a Gentleman in Northampton I have Recently applied to DVLA to Register the Vehicle in my name , They have advised me to contact HMRC to obtain a NOVA Certificate (notification of Vehicle Arrival) Please advise how I can Best Proceed with this . Many Thanks Luke XXXXX

Launched on 15 April 2013, Notification of Vehicle Arrivals (NOVA) is an online service which enables customers (VAT registered businesses, non-VAT registered businesses and private individuals) to notify HMRC about vehicles brought into the UK from abroad. It replaced a number of HMRC VAT and Customs paper forms.
You as a private individual may choose to use the HMRC online notification for NOVA or you can use an agent.
Here is the url for the HMRC page on registering to obtain the certificate you need:

Hello Luke,

The system notified that you responded but I am not seeing any post. If you did respond will you be so kind to repost that message.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Robin, Do I Have to apply for a NOVA certificate as I did not Import it into the UK Is that how the system works ?

Thanks for your help


Thank you for coming back and posting.
It appears that without the certificate DVLA will not register. It is not in the system as being from the UK as it was not registered prior to your purchase.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you