How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17633
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I am auk citizen and have spent 66 days in the uk working freelance

This answer was rated:

I am auk citizen and have spent 66 days in the uk working freelance for New International who have not taxed me. I spent the rest of the time in Canada working and paying tax. Am I a uk resident for tax purposes and do I class myself as self employed for the UK work?
You are not resident for tax purposes in the UK. There is no minimum length of time that will make you resident - but if you are in the UK for 183 days or more in a tax year, you will be resident in the UK for that tax year.
You would be non resident for UK taxes and taxed only on the income you received while in the UK.
You are likely to be resident in the UK if, over a period of several years, your presence in the UK becomes part of the regular pattern of your life.
Yes, you would be self employed for the UK tax reporting and self assessment.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have been a uk resident for Tax purposes in previous years although I am backwards and forwards. Does this still mean I am not a resident for this tax year? If so do I need to declare my foreign income on the foreign pages of the self assessment return?
Also I do not have a tax reference for New International foe the tax return . Is this a problem?
Yes, your residency in previous years could play a part in your residency now.
You would be required to declare your foreign income on the self assessment. Not having a reference number for the company that contracted you should not be a problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This takes me back to whether I need to complete the foreign income section or the Uk section. It all hinges on my residence status doesn't it? Can you tell me the criteria or would I need to give you an idea of the dates for previous years?
I would need the dates yes and the years that you were resident. What you might want to do is use the Residency test calculator that HMRC has. You would then be able to print out the determination that HMRC provides.

Copy and paste the above url and go to the HMRC page.
Scroll down on that page and click on "Go to the Tax Residence Indicator"
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thankyou. May I come back to you later with the result just to clarify what I need to do?
Yes, please do come back. I want to make sure you are completely satisfied.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have the dates in UK and overseas:

2010/11 tax year 222 days in uk, 143 overseas (seafarer)
2011/12 tax year 173 in Uk, 193 overseas (seafarer)
2012/13 tax year 350 days in uk, 15 days (seafarer)
2013/14 tax year 15 days in uk, 350 days overseas in Canada working and paying tax.

I returned to the UK 9th July 2014 and went to The Irish Republic on Monday 1st September.

Please can you tell me if I am a uk citizen for tax purposes based on this information. Thanks.
When I use the HMRC Indicator it advises you are not a resident for 2013-2014
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do I need to declare foreign income then and on the foreign page or Employment page?
Also when you tick the self employed box it asked for the name of your business. I was a freelance journalist for 6 weeks working for News International, I am not a registered business. It produces an error if I leave this blank. What do I do ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry I can't see the rest of this reply, what more information do you need?
As a nonresident you would only declare income you receive from a UK source. You do not declare foreign income.
Your own name could be your business name as well but if you did not register in the UK you would need to do that first.