How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5147
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I bought holiday home in 2013 I had to install a kitchen and

This answer was rated:

I bought holiday home in 2013 I had to install a kitchen and furnish the property as an FHL the cost were incurred in the tax year 2012/13 but there was no rental income until 2013/14 can I offset the costs against any tax liability going forward ?
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

If you have incurred costs that are of a capital nature i.e kitchen fittings and furnishing, you will be able to claim capital allowance for them in filing your accounts for 2013/14.

Accounting for furnished holiday letting is covered here - SA105 notes Page UKPN 3

More information on capital allowances can be found here - HMRC helpsheet 252

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you