How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5116
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I am divorcing my husband and are selling family home we have

This answer was rated:

I am divorcing my husband and are selling family home we have owned it for 17 years and is mortgage free.its current valu 140,000 i have bought a small barn for 23,000 with a personal loan which i intend to make my home.
Q.would i have to pay capital gains tax on my share of the sale of the family home. if so what would the percentage be.?i am presuming i would get 50% of the 140,000

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

If you have been living in the property as your main residence, then any gain from sale of it would be covered by private residence relief and there would be no Capital Gains Tax payable.

More information on private residence relief can be found here - HMRC helpsheet 283

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you