How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4959
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Dear, I'm a consultat radiologist and will do for the beginning

This answer was rated:

I'm a consultat radiologist and will do for the beginning additional and later on maybe full time work as radiologist reporting online. I need an advice on how to register my bussines, as self-employed or Ltd? That question is more important for later stage when I plan to work full time. Estmated monthly gross income could be 8000£.
Thank you

Hello Anthony, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

If you work full time for the NHS, and often part time too, you will almost certainly be paid under PAYE arrangements and have tax and national insurance contributions deducted at source.

If you operate through a limited company please remember that if you are a Director of the company then you are an employee per se and must also be paid under PAYE arrangements set up by the company. If you pay yourself by means of dividends these would be grossed up to the highest rates of personal taxation appropriate and furthermore the dividends are not allowable against the company's Corporation tax assessments whereas salary drawn is so allowable.

If you go down the self employment route you must register with HMRC. Here is the HMRC guidance of the matter:

'How and when to register with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) It's important to let HMRC know that you're self-employed as soon as possible - even if you already fill in a Self Assessment tax return each year. If you don't tell them, you may have to pay a penalty.

You can let HMRC know about your self-employment by registering online for business taxes. You'll be asked for information about yourself and your business. HMRC will set up tax records for you using the information you provide, for example records for:

Self Assessment

National Insurance

PAYE if you have people working for you

A Self Assessment Online account automatically will be set up for you at the same time, unless you say that you don't want one.'

Working this way will involve detailed book keeping, fairly simple, but necessary. You could always employ a sub-contractor to look after those matters for you.

On an estimated gross income of 96K you would pay tax on 86K (after your personal allowance of 10K) at 20% on the first GBP 31865 and 40% thereafter, about 32.5K. You will also be liable for NI contributions also. Your gross would, of course, be reduced by any professional subscriptions etc paid, but these are small beer. The greatest money spinner in tax avoidance is a private pension plan. You may make, including your employer's contribution, up to 100% of your income or 40K whichever is the lower.

You can see now that whichever way you turn you cannot avoid taxation. As Benjamin Franklin once famously quipped in life there are but two certainties, death and taxes!

I do hope I have thrown some light on your plans for you.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.