How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4764
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Do I have to pay tax on my pension I get from the U.K. if I

This answer was rated:

Do I have to pay tax on my pension I get from the U.K. if I live in Australia
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
According to the Australian Taxation Office:
'Most pensions and annuities have both taxable and tax-free components.'
The tax free components would be similar to the UK's 25% of your pension pot being available tax free as a lump sum on retirement whilst the balance, usually invested in an annuity, is taxed as income.
Your UK pensions would thus be taxable emoluments in Australia. However, under the Double Taxation Treaty between the UK and Australia any tax deducted by the UK would be allowed as a tax credit against any liability to Australian tax on the same income stream. The Treaty ensures that the same income is not taxed in both jurisdictions. Remember UK State Pensions, though taxable, are paid gross.
If you are thinking of moving to Australia please remember to submit a form P85 to your tax office as you quit these shores for good. HMRC will then make you non resident in the UK for taxation purposes and help simplify matters.
I do hope I have shown you a possible way forward.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.